• Home
  • About Us
    • The Rev. Mary Lynn Coulson
    • Our Mission
    • Our Vision
    • Our Church Demographics
    • Our Ministries
  • Parish Links
    • Book of Common Prayer
    • Weekly Lectionary
    • News & Events >
      • Calendar
      • 2026 Lector Schedule
      • Acolyte Schedule >
        • Acolyte Jobs
      • Special Awards
      • Alversa's Book
      • Church Cookbook
    • 1982 Hymnal
  • Our Church Today
    • The New Addition
    • Gods Light Fire Ring
    • The Lords Compass
  • St. Martin Youth
    • VBS 2018
    • 2017 Christmas Pageant
    • VBS 2014
    • 2014 Christmas Pagent
    • Sunday School Spaghetti Dinner
  • Our History
    • Chronological History
  • Memories
  • 2016 New Theater Event
  • Where We are Going
  • In Memory of . . .
    • Pat and Cindy Stanley
    • John Acton
    • Craig Carbery
    • The Rev. Laird MacGregor
    • Rev. W. Ray Bailey
    • John Claxton
    • Deacon Jesse Milan
    • Margie Claxton
    • Alversa Milan
    • Peggy Pierson
    • Jocelyn Rhode
    • Juanita Miller
  • Contact Us

CHRONOLOGICAL HISTORY OF
ST. MARTINS IN THE FIELD
​Edwardsville, Kansas

Picture
During a church work day, typed papers were found in a cabinet with the following history of St. Martin in the Fields.

Our Beginings

First meeting of interested parties held at home of John Rohde, Lake of the Forest, on October 15, 1952.


Second meeting held at home of Patricia and Charles Deleno, Lake of the Forest, on October 22, 1958 Rt. Rev. Goodrich Fenner, Bishop of Kansas, attended and also Rev. Lawrence Spencer of St. Michaels, Mission, Kansas.


Third meeting was held at home of Jack HiIllyer, Lake of the Forest, on October 29, 1952. Vestrymen were elected and duties assigned to certain members of the congregation. Rev. George Evans of St. Pauls in Kansas City, Kansas attended.


First service held in basement of Fire House In Edwardsville on November 2, 1952. Ralph Bastwick and Kenneth Heady, lay readers of St. Michaels, Mission, conducted the service. Thirty-eight persons attended.


First Sunday School held at 9:30 on November 9, 1952.


First instruction classes held November 13, 1952.


Christmas Eve Service conducted by Rev. Louis Baaso of Lawrence. Carol singers toured the country side.


First Communion conducted by Rev, Geo. Evans of St. Pauls, Kansas City Kansas on Thursday, November 27, 1952.


Confirmation Services on January 11, 1953 by Bishop G. R. Fenner, assisted by Canon Charles R. Tyner, Missouri Diocese, retired. Nine people were confirmed, five women, three men. Congregation numbered more than fifty.
Proudly powered by Weebly